Saturday 29 June 2013

Day Three - Shaky arms!

I wasn't sure what mood I'd be in when I hit the mat this morning.  I'd set my alarm for 7.20am to do my session before my first client, but I was awake well before that due to: David's alarm going off at 7am (it has a mind of its own), David's snoring (which has a LIFE of its own) and our other beautiful and demanding cat, Cleo, who likes to sleep on my pillow (and sometimes on my head)


I also didn't get to bed until midnight.  A friend of ours had the official opening of his gym last night and it was a two hour drive away, so we returned late.  I then also did my meditation practice before going to sleep (which seems like it'll be a good option for me - I felt really relaxed afterwards and drifted off quickly).  At the gym, our friend Greg had laid on a great spread of healthy looking food but I wanted to wait and eat something later on so didn't try any.  He also offered us beer, champagne, Pimms or a non-alcoholic elderflower/mint leaf cocktail; I amazed myself by opting for the cocktail.  Offered beer and saying no?  That almost never happens!  Of course, it was ruined by the fact that we ended up leaving very late and had 'dinner' from a decidedly scuzzy Burger King - ah well!

Anyway, my 'yoga studio' was all ready for me again this morning (thanks David) and I felt more awake than yesterday.  I was really looking forward to "Strength" - although I was somewhat nervous after seeing the comments on facebook about how tough it is!

I must admit, I didn't complete ALL of the yogi push ups and my arms were quivering and verging on useless at some points but the leg work was fine.  I think I was watching the participants more because I found myself wondering what those marks are on the chest of one of the guys.  Are they scars or is it a tatoo?  I work as a movement therapist and running coach, so I'm also very interested in how people's bodies have adapted to yoga in different ways - and their movement in general.  I love that yoga is so accessible to all body types and that little adjustments can be made where needed.

I don't think I breathed properly today, so perhaps it was tougher than I thought.  When I don't breathe efficiently I also don't feel the mind/body connectedness so well.  Just shows they go hand in hand.

As someone on facebook recommended, I stopped the DVD just before the final stretch/relaxation and did HARDcore.  It felt better doing it this way.  I then went back to finish the first DVD.  I don't know if anyone else feels this, but sometimes yoga gives me such a release that I cry.  This is what happened at the end of today's session.  It's a great feeling - the tension leaves my body in my tears.  I'm happy to share this fact - I've worked for so long with different clients, many of whom have opened up their innermost feelings and had a little weep and I know what a good - neccessary - reaction it can be. 

I'm feeling a whole world beginning to open up around me and I'm only on Day Three.  Goodness knows what day 108 will bring - maybe I'll take off and fly!

No comments:

Post a Comment