Thursday 11 July 2013

Day 14 - More tears (in a good way!)

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of Mountain Pose.  I think there are a couple of reasons for this: 1) It falls on a Wednesday, which is when I have to be up at 5am and do a lot of walking to get to one of my clients.  Mountain Pose is all done virtually standing still, so my feet are quite sore by the end of it!

The other problem I have is that I've had problems with my shoulders in the past (my right shoulder has dislocated several times).  Apparently, I have "poor tissue quality"!  Anyway, there's lots of reaching above the head in this one and my shoulders do feel a bit vulnerable. 

So, I think I like the idea of it and it's very meditative, but my sore feet and troublesome shoulders detract from my enjoyment.  Oh, and I can't squat all the way down yet, but neither can a lot of the group on the DVD so I don't feel too inadequate!

I confess I didn't have time to do all of the Pranayama Meditation, so only did the first cycle of breathing, followed by the full meditation.  The first time I did this, it made me cry.  Same again second time around!  When Travis says something along the lines of, "I just don't know how I got so far away from myself", I'm like a gibbering wreck.  But in a good way!  I feel so calm at the end of the session, it's well worth the time to get focused.

I also went for a run with David in the afternoon.  Not sure how long it was - maybe 25 minutes - it felt good!

Later on, I had a discussion about stress with one of my clients.  The sources of our stress have a lot to do with the choices we make.  How we deal with the stress is also a choice.  I've always been committed to exercise but didn't stick to a routine with it.  I actually didn't want to have to do something on a particular day.  However, with this yoga programme, I find it very reassuring that, whatever the day brings, I know that I'll have an hour or so, just me and my mat, to re-balance and this gives me a deep sense of well-being.  This calm is slowly spreading into my life; I keep track of it when I drive.  Driving is one of the least enjoyable activities I do - anyone who lives in a busy, overcrowded city will empathize.  I'm slowly learning to breathe and relax and be unperturbed by other road users.  Some days are better than others, I'll admit, and there is the occasional rant happening inside my little cockpit along with a bit of 'blue' language, but on the whole there's an improvement!

Looking forward to tomorrow's 'Cross Train' - one of my favourites :). 


No comments:

Post a Comment