Thursday 11 July 2013

Day 15 - In my head, I'm graceful and serene!

Ah, Cross Train!  I love Cross Train!  It's like Travis says, it has a little bit of everything.  What's more, on this round, my third one of this DVD, it's as though I can feel the little niggles and idiosyncrasies beginning to iron themselves out.  There are points in each movement and sequence of movements where I'm expecting my body to respond in a particular way.  I'll be going into a forward bend and be expecting a pull in my hamstrings, stopping me from straightening my legs.  But now there's more length, so the familiar pull either happens later or not at all.  Or, with my dodgy shoulders, I'll be anticipating having to adjust a few times before I can take my arm over my head in side angle pose or triangle pose, but again, I find my arm will circle smoothly over without my shoulder popping out of joint!

To feel these things happening is so rewarding.  I've had to adopt certain ways of moving for so long so my shoulders remain in their sockets, that the resulting tension has affected my entire body.  My goal is to be able to move my arms without a second thought for the safety of my shoulder joints.  But any improvement is hugely gratifying.

I had half planned to get up before 5am to do the DVD before my first client, but I have a confession to make:  I had not one, but TWO beers last night.  Late in the evening as well because I didn't get back from seeing my last client until 10.30pm (Wednesdays are loooong days).  As a result, I felt tired this morning (although getting up at 6am instead of 5am felt like a lie-in - never thought I'd be saying that!) and it meant doing my DVD when I got home.  This also meant that soon after I'd started, David arrived home after his first client and was in the lounge working on the pc while I exercised.  I find that I can't quite get into the zone knowing that he's watching and listening.  Most of the time, I know he's ignoring what I'm doing (I've always done exercise videos/DVDs so he's used to it and tunes me out!) but I also know he's interested in these DVDs and my progress.

I asked him what I looked like.  He said, "What do you mean?"  I said, "Well, do I look strong, weak, flexible, inflexible...?"  He hesitated (never a good sign) and said, "Well, a mixture really.  Sometimes you moved smoothly into the poses and other times you kind of fell into them".  Hmm, I'll take that.  Could be worse!  It's only Day 15 after all!

I keep saying that I'd like him to take some photos of me so that I can monitor my progress.  No photos as yet, mainly because I don't think I want to know what I look like.  At least I can imagine that I'm strong and graceful without having photographic evidence to the contrary!


No comments:

Post a Comment