Sunday 4 August 2013

Day 39 - 'Flexibility' - a long way to go with this one!

I didn't set my alarm this morning as it's the only day I get a lie in.  However, I woke up early because I'm so used to it and didn't want to lie around too long so got up at 8.30am and set out my mat for 'Flexibility'.

Most of it, I thoroughly enjoyed.  There were still strength elements in there and a sense of flow.  The yogi squat is tricky for me so there was no way I was able to tie my upper body in knots at the same time.  Travis told me, "you should be feeling this everywhere" - yep, I was!  Not too bad for my first go and one that I'll enjoy working on.

There's a floor sequence at the end that was very difficult.  It involves what's often termed "hurdler's stretch".  Some fitness trainers scoff at this position, saying it's, "contra-indicated".  For me, no pose or exercise is generically a 'bad' one - it's all about adapting to each individual.  Well, this individual was having to adapt her heart out!  The initial position was fine, but some of the add-ons just seem impossible.  I'm not convinced my body will ever agree with me when I ask it to do these things.  The students on the DVD were definitely at different levels with this one too - some of them who could do it fully just looked amazing and totally relaxed, grabbing their blocks to see if they could deepen the pose even further.  I just sat awkwardly looking on, wondering how long I'd have to stay there and whether I'd actually be able to get myself out of the pose or need to shout for help.  It certainly highlighted the imbalance in my hips and pelvis too.  If I thought the first side was bad, the other was even worse! 

There's also the option in this DVD to, "slide your front leg forward into the splits".  Ha ha ha ha ha...in my dreams.  Literally.  I have had dreams where I'm super-flexible and can do the splits easily - such a cruel trick of my mind and I'm so disappointed when I wake up. 

One day I'll be able to do the whole of this DVD.  I'm not putting a time goal on it - it'll probably take years.  But I'll get there. 

'hardCORE' later and 'Gentle' tomorrow.  Not sure how that will go - so much stretching today my body might seize up by tomorrow in protest!

No comments:

Post a Comment