Monday 5 August 2013

Day 40 - Not in love with 'Gentle' yet!

I had an early client this morning and didn't want to do 'Gentle' before that because I knew I wouldn't get the benefits so early in the morning.  I'd have liked to have done it this evening but have to go to a meeting and this afternoon I went swimming, so I ended up doing it at about 9am and wasn't feeling particularly bendy.

I have now vowed to do some kind of warm up before this one in the future.  It was like trying to bend metal rods today.  I actually twinged a muscle doing the all fours 'cat/cow' movement which couldn't be much more gentle but I still felt something 'ping' and it's still with me now.  I put it down to the fact that I had a fairly toxic weekend.  Not all night partying or anything extreme like that, but I just could have eaten more healthily. 

However, my swim was fantastic.  I zoned out all the shouting kids and just flowed through the water - the same fluid feeling I had on my run on Saturday.  I usually swim a mile and split the lengths into sprints and different breathing patterns to keep it interesting.  My breathing felt controlled today too.

So, I still can't join the others in the facebook and say that I love the slow stretching DVDs.  I really want to be able to sink into the pose and exhale loudly for about five minutes like Travis does, "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....".  But I just feel awkward :(.  I'm wondering if the gains in flexibility will come a bit later on in the programme.  I can go deeper into the poses during a flow, but just the stretching on its own, my body is stubborn.

I'm not disappointed though.  I almost feel like I'm outside of myself, observing with interest.  I'm really enjoying the journey and certainly wouldn't be as much as I am if it all came easily. 

'Detox' tomorrow, around 6.30am.  Better get a decent night's sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment