Wednesday 14 August 2013

Day 49 - A day of cardio

Up at 5am again this morning to do a stretch/strength session with my client.  When I got back (the train was on time for once, although my normal train into London was cancelled!) David and I headed to Crystal Palace swimming pool.

Now, this is a 'proper' pool.  No messing about - just swimming.  It was quite daunting as we headed out of the changing rooms to the pool and I looked at the depth sign on the side: "1.83 metres" - ok, this must be the deep end, I thought, I'll get in the other end.  But no!  That was 2.06 metres!  So, I'm used to easing myself in but today we just had to bite the bullet and slide straight in.  This was after some discussion about which lane to choose.  I reckoned the 'medium speed' lane whilst David suggested the more conservative 'slow' lane.  However, I pointed out that there was a bloke in there doing breastroke so slowly that he was practically treading water AND he was taking up the whole width of the lane, so into the medium lane we went.  I am quite pleased to say that I must be a medium speed swimmer, because I kept the same distance from the other guy in the lane the whole time I was in there.  David was faster than me and kept catching me up but he also needs a rest at each end because he swims so fast, so it works out quite well.  It was lovely to have the longer length and swim continuously without worrying about kids throwing balls into the lane, or just swimming across it (which they frequently do in the other pool).  Suffice to say, Crystal Palace is our new favourite swimming haunt!

I did some work when we got back and had a little nap too, then while David did some work on the Land Rover, I headed to my mat for 'Cardio'.  I don't know if it was because it was later on in the day than usual, but I felt very flexible.  I was a bit bunged up from the swimming so wasn't able to breathe through my nose well but was still able to keep the breath under control and the inhale/exhale come intuitively as part of the flow now, rather than me having to follow Travis' direction.  Cardio is still challenging but I'm able to focus more on technique rather than just getting through it in one piece!  I also managed 11 minutes of meditation at the end and am really starting to enjoy it.

A study group has been formed by one of the facebook group so I've ordered the book that he suggests.  It's one that's recommended to anyone practising yoga who wants to learn more about the philosophy behind it.  I feel this will be very useful - I love learning new things and it'll be good to have some discussion and insight from other group members :)


No comments:

Post a Comment